Syntap Software Forum Forum Index Syntap Software Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Recalculating problem

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Syntap Software Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Bassman
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007    Post subject: Recalculating problem Reply with quote

I've been working on a project intermittently from 21 December until now, stopping and starting the timer each time, as usual. I changed the default hourly rate and pressed "Recalculate" -- upon which the overall time recalculated itself on the basis of running continuously, 24/7, from my start time on 21 December to my finish time today (5 January). So now, instead of showing about 30 hours the total hours worked are 390!
Why did this happen? Is it a bug? And is there any way I can re-establish the actual time worked?
syntap
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... that was one of the dangers I had mentioned years back with the recalculate button. There isn't a way to get back from that other than a restore of the data file from backup.

I guess one idea would be to pop up a warning screen the first time someone tries to use that function, with an option to not show the dialog again. Another more drastic idea is to disable the recalculate button altogether for project files where the start/stop functionality was used in that way. Or maybe keep tabs behind the scenes where the recalculate button ignores the tasks where that was used. But then the rounding functions wouldn't look right if that preference was set. I'm not quite sure what the best way to protect oneself from that is.
Mr Bassman
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a drag. I hadn't realised this was a problem, and it's certainly not intuitively obvious that this might occur when I recalculate. As I don't know how the program works (and probably wouldn't understand it if you did try to explain it to me), I shall have to remain: (a) mystified; (b) sadder and wiser. Sad
syntap
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it happens is because Time Stamp stores the total time spent in timing mode, but does not store individual start-stops each time a timer for a single task is stopped and restarted. So when the recalculation is used it bases the recalculation on the task's start and end time. I definitely need to get a warning note on there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Syntap Software Forum Forum Index -> Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: