Syntap Software Forum Forum Index Syntap Software Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cannot create tasks

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Syntap Software Forum Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatNieuw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006    Post subject: Cannot create tasks Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just discovered TimeStamp, am using version 3.12 on Win2K . It might be useful, but I don't seem to be able to create tasks. I've not found it in the help or on one of the menu items (there's an 'edit task', but no 'create task'). By clicking wildly around I suddenly got one, but have no idea how I did it. I am probably overlooking something. I'd like to create 12-20 tasks at the beginning of each week, and then when the phone rings click on the proper task to keep track of the time.
If I can do that with timestamp I can get rid of paperwork!

Thanks, Mat
syntap
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion!

In Time Stamp you create tasks by starting and stopping the timer... that's all there is to it! I hope you find Time Stamp useful.
MatNieuw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that works, thank you. I have now upgraded to the latest beta. To get a feeling for it, I will be using it for the next few weeks to keep track of my time spent per week.
As most of the tasks (really projects, but I want one file/week) are the same every week, I'd like to create a default project with all tasks in it. I believe the best way is to:
- create a new project
- start and stop the 15 or so 'timers' (tasks) I need, and add the note for each task to see what it is
- I hope I can then edit each task and reset all timers to 0, and recalculate
- Then save this project as the 'master project'
- At the beginning of each week load this master project, immediately save it under that week's name (e.g. wk200639), and use it for that week

Does this sound OK or is there a better way of doing it?

Actually, if there was a 'create task' that did the same as 'start timer' but just created a task without starting a timer, that would make this a little simpler. This sounds like a 'feature request', I guess :-)

While I'm on the subject: if you click on a column, it sorts on that column. It would be nice if repeatedly clicking on a column would sort it alternatively ascending or descending, but I guess that possibility is dependent on the underlying widgets you have available.

In any case, TimeStamp certainly looks like it can save me paperwork! Thank you!

Mat
MatNieuw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have now created an 'empty' default project, with all tasks cleared. I've found the following:
- Edit Task, if set start and end time both to 07:30:00, and hit 'recalculate work time', it complains about a negative value. I have to set the end time 1 second later. Curiously, when I hit recalculate, I get different results for different tasks, even though the date is the same for all.
- Having done all the tasks (6 for now), I do 'recalculate all tasks'. But 'Total work time' and 'Total work cost' are not recalculated by the looks of it.
- Even if I have NOT enabled (in File->Preferences->Other options) 'round work time up according to increment', it still shows 15 minutes for each task. I would expect 1 second.

Regards, Mat
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Syntap Software Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: