Syntap Software Forum Forum Index Syntap Software Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Feature request: Timing selected application

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Syntap Software Forum Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006    Post subject: Feature request: Timing selected application Reply with quote

I like your application! However, I often tend to forget turning the timing on and off (OK, I get easily distracted, especially when sitting in front of my computer Wink ). What would certainly help me is an option in Time Stamp which would turn timing on when an application with a set title is active, and turn it off if it is inactive.

For example: I work on a document, in a window titled: „Microsoft Office Word 2003 - Annual Report”. When it is active (i.e. on top), Time Stamp dutifully accrues my pay. When I switch to another application (surfing the Web maybe), the timing is paused.

I hope the above makes sense...
syntap
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are asking for but don't think it is something easily doable. Using your example, Time Stamp would have to know when to time for "Microsoft Office Word 2003 - Annual Report” but not time when you switch over to "Microsoft Office Word 2003 - Aunt Betty's Apple Pie Recipe". Plus I'm not sure how useful this would be because even with that functionality in place it would still be timing if someone opened the document and took a lunch break (i.e. not editing even though that window is active). For what it is worth Word already has functionality like this built in... if you go to File -> Properties there is a statistics page there that shows the document's total editing time.

I have had others ask for this in cases where they run a cyber cafe or something similar like a rental unit at Kinko's when it would track Web browsing vs printing stuff. In my view this kind of takes the application to places it isn't scoped for, but I will certainly keep your suggestion in mind!
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006    Post subject: It's not that urgent... Reply with quote

I understand that it might go beyond the scope of functionality, especially that probably low-level system commands would have to be invoked.

For now I will try to use the following AutoHotkey commands:
http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/WinWaitActive.htm

With these I will probably be able to send keystrokes to Time Stamp to start and stop timing.
syntap
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good... if it works out please post back so I can add it to the FAQ as a solution for this issue.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Syntap Software Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: